The Tennessee Psychiatric Association is dedicated to developing the highest quality of comprehensive psychiatric care for patients, families, and communities.
The Tennessee Psychiatric Association was established in 1958 as a district branch of the American Psychiatric Association and is incorporated as a non-profit organization.
Psychiatrists are the only mental health providers who are trained and licensed as physicians. Psychiatrists, after completing undergraduate school, are required to complete medical school and then four years of post-medical school training specializing in mental illnesses and their treatments. Psychiatric education places a strong emphasis on neurology and brain physiology, in addition to psychological, relational and social contributions to mental illness.
Psychiatry is the only branch of medicine which specializes in and deals with the delivery of care and treatment of persons with mental illness. Thus while any physician can prescribe psychiatric medications, psychiatrists undergo residency training that focuses on the illness of the brain and mind.
The TPA Mission Statement: The Tennessee Psychiatric Association is dedicated to developing the highest quality of comprehensive psychiatric care for patients, families, and communities.
TPAs objectives are to function in cooperation with, and as a component part of, the American Psychiatric Association:
- to promote the best interests of patients and those making use of mental health services
- to advance the standards of all psychiatric services and facilities;
- to foster the cooperation of all who are concerned with the medical, psychological, social, and legal aspects of mental health and illness;
- to make educate other health care practitioners, scientists, and the general public regarding mental illness and its treatment;
- to assist the American Psychiatric Association in the promotion of its aims and objectives.
Read our Most Recent Newsletter
Find A Psychiatrist Near You
Use Our Psychiatrist Locator To Find The Nearest Doctor To You